Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Manchester on a bus - part 1

Hehe, I know HongAnh will complain about my terrible grammar, but since I haven't write anything in English for a longtime - apart from image processing log book - so I decided to blog the Manchester trip in English as a little composition exercises.

Went to National Express office at 1:30 - bought a return ticket to Manchester. The ticket cost 24 pound, same as price I have checked on the Internet - I would expect something cheaper for a coach but it seem that inexpensive is the last thing you can find in the UK - as the shop manager in London have said "England make good shoe, but the problem is you have to pay money". Oh my God, I'm so respect that man, it take a reall batstard to say such a thing.

The coach leaving at 2:45, so I still have an hour to walk to the station, grasp a sandwich and a Coke. I still don't understand what a coach is different from a bus - and it seem that English people don't understand neither - this confusing word have lead to a problem which I will tell you later. There was only 5 people on a 44 seat coach, myself and two old couple who enjoy a 60+ return ticket for 10 pound. I still have to wait 30 more years for this privilledge.

So off we go. It wasn't very comfortable at the beginning - I've never been fit for big bus, feel too high from the road make me ill. But after 30' sleep, I'd been downed to the earth again. It was raining and the landscape looked rather boring - nothing but typical England midland grey field and some dirty sheeps.

The bus was running very slow and turning all the time to a new road. England doesn't enjoy a good highway system like Auto Ban in Germany or Interstate in the US. They instead have have a very dense road network which is dated back from the time when England had ruled half of the world and was in the front line of industrialization. This history have lead to a situation where every inch of land in the UK is heavily exploited - city overlap city, road overlap road. The bus seem to run more in the city than in between city.

Finally got to Manchester at 9:20 pm, it took me more than 6 hour for 200 km. By any standard this can't be called express transportation. The coach station is just in the city center. As I walked to Fairfield street, I can feel the party atmosphere spreading on the air.

He he, and here was him - my friend Cuong, all the way from Hanoi to Manchester. We said "fuck you" a few time to each other as our tradition of greeting and heading to his place. He live in on of the best student accommodation of Manchester University, just 5 minus walk from the nigh club area the. What a coincident with his house in 98 Hang Dao.

After a brief warming up at his room, we took a walk to the city center. It was Saturday night and people partied everywhere. We were refused to enter several bars in Canal street before realized that this is gay area. To my surprise, many of these gay bars just look absolutely normal which is very different from their funky counterpart in Thailand. My guess is that because gay in the UK is more naturally accepted in the society so they don't feel the need to show off.

Wondering around several other club streets, we somehow ended up at at a all-man U40 pub. Cuong seem to preferred a more classy place but we have difficult entering sexy bar with his sport shoe. Calm down man, you still have 2 years to explore Manchester, and it would cost a fortune.

Backed to campus at 1:00, there was another student's party at the common room, but I was too tired after a long journey - can only afford 1 more drink. Have a long chat with Cuong before sleep. He have applied for a Master in Bioinformatic, kind of playing computer-assisted game with genetic modification. He is one of a few guys in my class who still follow die-hard biology. Others have been ruined to various kind of rubbish from selling frozen cow sperm to spending time as officer in Ministry of Education, not to mention myself who defected to gemotacis's world.

His mother have bocome kind of power Godmother in Angola. She still keep her social image as a UNICEF medical expert. But at home she run a smart network of textile retailer, which buy from large enterprise in Vietnam and sell directly to local people in Angola. She is the first to open Photo MiniLab in Angola and now own 5 biggest labs in Luanda, the capital. So I guess she have enough money to afford Cuong's tuition fee, plus a playboy life in Manchester.

No comments: