Friday, September 15, 2006

English rain















Every once in a while, when we were under the stormy rain somewhere in a jungle of Vietnam, when we were all dying for a dry place and a hot tea or better a traditional spirit "cuoc lui" - our fieldguide, often a local farmer, would smiled happly and said: "it's good for the rice".

It's of no difference here in England - the only exception was that instead of rice, people here would say winter wheat or spring barley. That's what Peter, the farmer in Peterhead where we did our field survey last summer, have been waiting for long. He would be very happy now.

So it's was raining this morning in Newcastle as the summer approaching its end. Just a very light rain which would last for whole day. Normally I don't like the rain so much, but in this particular morning I decided to have my umbrella off and school off to wander the city center one of the very last time. Just to be a little more being in England. I'm going home in less than 10 days.

It was 3 years since I came to Newcastle and I didn't finish my Ph.D yet. Not the best productive way using the time. I know if I would had been worked very hard I would have pass the viva by now. But so far most of my friends in the Lab were in the same stage of writing up so I guess I have been worked hard and productive as everyone else. Some time you have to take it easy and let the story written by itself, some time you have to take a time off to enjoy a rain which will never come the same.

Neither in a Vietnamese jungle nor an English city, thing will never been the same, life will never been the same. Every once in a while, when you was young and bright.

Ehem` dao nay cong nhan minh sen' u' chiu duoc ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

arrrggg...British weather just plainly sucks, to the deepest meaning of it, hehehe. After living in England for 1 year, I understood why George Harrison coul write his great "here comes the sun".

V@OK